The Civil War Courier, Camp Chase Gazette and the Citizen’s Companion are dedicated to preserving our historic Civil War landmarks. We commend, and thank you for your work to preserve our history. We are pleased to list your preservation organization, address, telephone, list of officers, short history and a link to your website to assist with your preservation efforts. Email your information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Belle Boyd House Museum
Berkeley County Historic Society, P.O. Box 1624, Martinsburg, WVA 25402
The childhood home of Confederate spy Belle Boyd in downtown Martinsville, WVA Was saved from demolition by the Berkley County Historical Society in 1992. He father Benjamin Boyd built the Greek revival home in 1853. He later served in the Stonewall Brigade.
The society purchased a dilapidated 1856 harness maker’s shop in 2007, and it has been Refurbished and contains the society’s Archives Center with genealogical and historical records, library and research room.
The Belle Boyd House Museum and Archive Center are open Friday, Saturday and Monday from 10 to 4.
Center for Civil War Photography
P.O. Box 5336, Abilene, Texas 79608
The Center for Civil War Photography is a non-profit organization devoted to one of the most exciting and compelling areas of the Civil War scholarship. New photographic finds from our nation’s greatest conflict are being made on a regular basis.
The CCWP is raising funds for a digital archive project to secure, preserve, organize and make available online Civil War images. The archives will include all formats of photography including engravings, woodcuts, sketches, and drawings. Civil War era documentary imagery will expand to include images of postwar battlefields, and sites over time.
Grants and donations from individuals, foundations and corporations are invited. For information: Jennifer Kon, 727-437-2297. www.civilwarphotography.org
Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina Civil War Heritage Trails
P.O. Box 96, Clarks Hill, SC 2981 or P.O. Box 1864, Evans, GA 30809
The Civil War Heritage Trails follows the historic route of one of the Civil War’s major military campaigns throughout Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.
CWHT is a non-profit 501c3 organization. Funds are invited to further development of the Atlanta Campaign and March to the Sea Heritage Trails through Georgia, the Jefferson Davis Heritage Trail through Georgia and South Carolina, and the Wilson’s Creek’s Raid Heritage Trail through Alabama. Donations of any amount are appreciated.
For information: Executive Director Steve Longcrier, 706-868-8403. www.CivilWarHeritageTrails.org
American Civil War Memorial
36 West Main Street, Waterloo, New York 13165. 315-539-5192
The American Civil War Memorial pays tribute to the sacrifice made by the citizens of Waterloo during the Civil War, and recognized the soldiers from the North and South who gave their lives in the conflict.
The Memorial, designed by sculptor Pietro del Fabro of Princeton Junction, New Jersey, is located on Lock Island along the Cayuga-Seneca Canal, part of the Erie Canal System.
Individual cenotaphs recognize each Waterloo man who died during the war. The North South Cenotaph that honors all lives lost is constructed of stones sent from the 36 states at the time. A Women’s Cenotaph commemorates all the women who served during the war. The Unit Cenotaph lists the regiments in which the men of Waterloo and Seneca County served and the Civil War battles they fought in.
Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, and refers to the practice of decorating Civil War soldiers’ tombs with bouquet of lilacs. In 1966, a resolution by the United States Congress and a proclamation by President Johnson recognized Waterloo as the birthplace of Memorial Day. The American Civil War Memorial, dedicated on September 20, 2008, honors the fallen of the first Memorial Day, May 5, 1866.
Donations go toward maintenance, upkeep and education outreach. If you wish to make a donation please call or write: American Civil War Memorial, 36 West Main Street, Waterloo, N.Y. 13165. Information: Caren Cleveland, chairperson. 315-539-5192
Battle of Richmond (Ky.) Association
101 Battlefield Memorial Highway, Richmond, KY 40475
The Battle of Richmond Association (BORA) was organized in 2001 to act as the lead organization in an effort to preserve the Battle of Richmond (KY) Battlefield. The organization was formed in partnership with the Madison County Historical Society, the Richmond Chamber of Commerce and the Madison County Civil War Roundtable.
The Battle of Richmond was fought in three phases at Kingston, Duncannon Lane and in the Richmond Cemetery August 29-30. Much of the Kingston phase and some of the Duncannon Lane retain battlefield integrity and are most worthy of preservation. The battle was the second largest Civil War battle in Kentucky and the most overwhelming Confederate victory of the entire Civil War.
The Richmond battlefield was for several years designated by the Civil War Preservation Trust as one of the 10 most endangered battlefields in the United States.
Membership dues and all donations( 501c3) are used for preservation and high quality events and programs.
Information: Dr. Paul Rominger, Director. 859-248-1974. www.battleofrichmond.org.
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum
901 W. Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21223
The B&O Museum’s mission is to preserve the legacy of railroading and tell how railroads shaped the course of American history during the Civil War. The museum displays the largest collection of Civil War veteran locomotives and rolling stork in the world.
From the Baltimore riots on April 19, 1861 to April 21, 1865 when President Lincoln’s funeral train left Baltimore for Illinois, the B&O was involved in the country’s greatest conflict.
The B&O Museum seeks $20,000 support for a gallery exhibit to showcase items related to railroading during the war. The funds will allow creation of a climate-controlled environment for artifacts and archival materials that can not be safely display in the museum’s National Historic Landmark Roundhouse.
The exhibit will feature the only known rifle musket carried in the Pratt Street Riots, Confederate General Stonewall Jackson’s revolver, artifacts from the Union occupation of Baltimore and the Battle of Rich Mountain and other artifacts from the museum’s collection, the Smithsonian, and other public and private collection.
Brandy Station Foundation
P.O. Box 814, Middleburg, VA 20118
The Battle of Brandy Station, June 9, 1863, was one of history’s greatest cavalry engagements with over 20,000 troops, including 17,000 cavalry engaged in battle. The Union advance was repelled, but the overwhelming dominance of the Confederate cavalry was broken.
The Graffiti House at Brandy Station served as a field hospital for the Confederates during the Battle of Brandy Station and other local battles during the war. It was also used as a headquarters by the Federal army during the winter encampment of 1863-64. Soldiers from both sides made drawings and signed their names and units on the walls. Rediscovered in 1993, much has been preserved.
The Brandy Station foundation is a non-profit, 501c3 organization, and all donations are tax-deductible.
The foundation uses donations to help purchase battlefield land. It also maintains the “Graffiti House” which is uses as it’s headquarters.
Information: Clark B. Hall, President. 413-446-7882 www.brandystationfoundation.com
Central Virginia Battlefields Trust
P.O. Box 3417, Fredericksburg, VA 22402
Central Virginia Battlefields Trust (CVBT) is dedication to preservation of Virginia’s Civil War Battlefields. Now, in its fifteenth year, CVBT has saved over 900 acres of land on all four of the Fredericksburg area’s battlefields. It is working to purchase more endangered hallowed ground before it is lost to development.
The CVBT is a membership-based organization with an all-volunteer working board of directors. It seeks members and donations. Purchasing endangered battlefields cost millions of dollars.
Citizens for the Restoration of Historical La Mott
1608 Willow Avenue, La Mott, PA 19027
The goal of the Citizens for the Restoration of Historical La Mott, a 501c3 tax exempt organization is to preserve the historical community heritage of La Mott, and to operate the Camp William Penn United States Colored Troops Museum.
The camp was the first and largest Federal training camp for U.S. Colored Troops. Eleven regiments were trained there.
The museum is temporarily closed until renovations, which are needed to bring the building up to code. The citizens group is seeking funds to restore an original 8 foot colored soldier recruiting poster, and renovation of the museum.
Civil War Trust
Washington Office: 1156 15th Street NW, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20005
Hagerstown Office: 11 Public Square, Suite 200, Hagerstown, MD 21740
The Civil War Trust’s goal is to preserve battlefield through purchases, conservation easements and partnerships with federal, state and local governments. The CWT has helped preserve more than 30,000 acres of battlefield land in the past 24 years.
The Civil War Trust maintains several outreach and educational programs in support of battlefield protection including Hallowed Ground, the organization’s quarterly magazine; History Under Siege, its annual report on endangered Civil War sites; the Civil War Discovery Trail, a National Millennium Trail that links 600 sites in 32 states.
Information: David Duncan, Director of membership and Development, 202-367-1861, ext. 7202. www.civilwar.org.
Confederate Memorial Park
P.O. Box 337, Claremont, VA 23899
In 1863, the Federal Government opened a Prison Camp to house Confederate soldiers and civilians at Point Lookout, Maryland. The prison operated for approximately 21 months during the War Between the States.
The camp was designed for 10,000 prisoners, but housed over 20,000 at one time. It was the largest POW camp for either side during the war with 52,264 documented military and 200 civilian prisoners. Because of no housing (tents), lack of food and sanitation, thousands died while confined at Point Lookout.
Donations of $1,000 are needed to match a grant from the Southern Maryland Area Heritage Consortium for additional signage, and educational brochures.
Information: Jim Dunbar, Chairman. 301-934-1716. Donation checks to Frank Towberman, Treasurer. www.confmemparkinc.plpow.com
410 Kiwanis Drive, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
Fort D is a project of Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department, the Cape Girardeau Convention and Visitors Bureau, the Turner Brigade Association and the Civil War Roundtable of Cape Girardeau. The group is dedicated to preserving Fort D’s Civil War history.
In the summer of 1861, at the beginning of the Civil War, four forts were build around the strategic city of Cape Girardeau. Construction of Fort D, a redan with earthwork walls, began on August 6, 1861, under Lt. John Wesley Powell. Union troops occupied the fort throughout the war.
Powell met U.S. Grant at the fort, leading to a lifelong friendship, and Powell leading the Grand Cannon exploration during Grant’s presidency.
The fort was protected during 1911 land subdivision and again in 1936 when the American Legion bought it as a park for the city. Its blockhouse was used into the 1980s, and then abandoned and vandalized. Major improvements to the site began in 2005 with new interpretive signs, guided tours and living history programs.
Donations are solicited for a roof over the blockhouse, so that exhibits are protected, and for clothing and accoutrements for use with school tours. Donations go to the nonprofit Cape Girardeau Parks Foundation.
Information: Patti House, 573-651-3782. Patti.email@example.com.
Friends of Wilderness Battlefield
P.O. Box 576, Locus Grove, VA 22508
The purpose of the Friends of Wilderness Battlefield is to assist the Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park in its efforts to preserve the Wilderness Battlefield in Spotsylvania and Orange Counties. The Friends provide advocacy, educational programs, and service projects for the battlefield.
The Friends major fundraising focuses on restoration of Ellwood Manor, a circa 1790 home located on the Wilderness Battlefield. Within a year’s span two flags flew over the house: the Confederate Hospital flag and the blue swallowtail flag of the U.S. Army of the Potomac’s Fifth Corps. In 1863, it served as a Confederate recovery hospital for six months following the Battle of Chancellorsville. The family cemetery became the burial site for General Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s ambulated left arm. One year later Union General Gouverneur K. Warren set up his headquarters in the parlor there. Generals Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant were at the house in 1863 and 1864 respectively.
The group is seeking $30,000 to complete Phase III of the Ellwood Manor Restoration Project, a rehabilitation of the four bedrooms on th second floor.
General Jubal Early Monument Project
167 Ashmont Drive, Madison Heights, VA 24572
The Sons of Confederate Garland-Rodes Camp #409 of Lynchburg, VA is raising funds for a monument for Confederate General Jubal Early on the site of the 1864 Battle of Cedar Creek in Middleton.
The monument will be located in a park just off Route 11 in Middletown on ground where General Early fought and where hundreds of young patriots lost their lives. Gen. Early was in command of the Army of Northern Virginia during the Battle of Cedar Creek. His historic effort to destroy Union General Phillip Sheridan’s forces after the burning of the Shenandoah Valley has never been forgotten by the Southern people. Therefore, he needs to make his stand once again, only this time in stone and bronze in
recognition of our Southern History and Heritage.
Gary Casteel, a noted historical sculptor, has been commissioned by the Garland-Rodes Camp to create the life size bronze bas-relief of Early attached to a standing gray granite slab with a stone base. A history of the Confederate forces actions will be engraved on the back.
Information: Brian Giles, Commander. 434-942-8075. firstname.lastname@example.org
General Longstreet Museum
P.O. Box 625, Morristown, Tennessee 37814
A developer proposed demolishing the historic house General James Longstreet used as his headquarters during the winter of 1863-64 in Russellville, Tennessee and constructing a small retail store. The Lakeway Civil War Preservation Association was organized, Tennessee Charter, 501c3, non-profit organization to purchase and save the house. This historic treasure is being renovated and developed into the General Longstreet Museum and Interpretative Center. It will serve as a welcome center for the Civil War sites in the Lakeway area. The Museum is listed on the Tennessee Civil War Trail, and is scheduled to open in August 2011. No officers or directors are compensated and 100% of all donations are used for telling the complete story of the Civil War with civilian and military galleries.
General Meade Society of Philadelphia
P.O. Box 45556, Philadelphia, PA 19149
The General Meade Society of Philadelphia, a non-profit organization, is a history, information and education group whose mission is to promote and preserve the memory of Union Major General George Gordon Meade, the commander of the Army of the Potomac and architect of the Union victory at Gettysburg. The Society was founded by General Meade enthusiasts who gather annually on December 31st to celebrate the anniversary of the general’s birth. The Society currently boasts hundreds of members throughout the country, all whom share a common interest in General Meade’s multifaceted life and career.
The society raises funds for scholarships, sponsors tours, presents history symposia, funds preservation of Civil War sites and honors veterans of all periods.
All interested in promoting the memory of General Meade, the Army of the Potomac, Civil War veterans, the history of the Civil War era are invited to join the Meade Society.
Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) Civil War Museum and Library
4278 Griscom Street, Philadelphia, PA 1924-3954
The G.A.R. Museum and Library is a non-profit historical and patriot organization that actively seeks to preserve the American heritage and memorialize the history of the Civil War. Founded in 1926 by members of the G.A.R. Post 2, it is located in the Ruan House in the Frankford section of Philadelphia. The Georgian Mansion was built by Dr. John Ruan in 1796.
The museum has a library of over 5000 books, many of them published during the war. The collection contains many photographs, letters, diaries, records, post books and other materials related to military service and from he Grand Army posts and departments.
The museum is a non-profit 501c3 organization. It is staffed by volunteers and offers free access to the public. It depends on supporting membership and donations. Memberships are $20 for individuals and $30 for families. $50 and $100 per year categories are also available.
Frankford Civil War Soldiers’ Memorial
Cedar Hill Cemetery, Cheltenbam & Frankford Aves. Philadelphia, PA
The Frankford Circle of Honor was donated to the Col. Baker Association in 1867, which was established after Baker’s death and the Battle of Balls Bluff. In 1878, the plot was deeded to the Kearny Post # 55, Grand Army of the Republic. Sometime later on July 4, the Monument was dedicated in a major memorial ceremony attended by Maj. Gen. George Meade, Commodore Selfridge, Marine Bands and several other notable organizations.
Time and the elements have not been kind to this once imposing monument to our Civil War Heritage. Corrective action must be taken before it is too late to save this Monument.
Thirty-three veterans are buried in the circle surrounding the monument, Gravestones are being obtain for all the veterans. Funds are needed for the second phase to restore the monument itself.
Kansas “Save the Flags” Project
6425 SW Sixth Avenue, Topeka, Kansas 666-15-1099
The Kansas State Historical Society has over 75 Civil War battle flags in their collection.
Most are battle flags of Kansas regiments, but there are also Confederate and Border Ruffian flags including a banner presented to Abraham Lincoln and used in the 1860 presidential election, and a Confederate flag captured at Lookout Mountain by the 8th Kansas Infantry.
Some of the flags show damage from service in battle, while others have suffered the effects of time and environment. The Society has an ongoing program to conserve the flags. Priorities for conservation include the flags of the 8th Kansas Infantry, which went father east than any other Kansas regiment; the 10th Kansas Regiment which received a flag at the 1864 St. Louis Sanitary Fair, and the 12th Kansas Infantry.
Adopt a flag. Families or organizations can “adopt a flag” for preservation, and contributions in any amount are welcome.
Information: Blair Tarr, Museum Curator. 785-272-8682, ext. 427. email@example.com or Vicky Henley, Executive Director/CEO, 785-272-8681, ext 201. firstname.lastname@example.org
Lincoln At the Crossroads Alliance
3713 S. George Mason Drive #1302, Falls Church, VA 22041
Lincoln at the Crossroads Alliances was created to commemorate President Abraham Lincoln’s Grand Review of Union troops at Bailey’s Crossroads on Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, Virginia, on November 20, 1861. While 70,000 troops participated in what is the largest military parade in the United States to date, few people including thousands of school children, know of the event today or the historical importance of the Bailey’s Crossroads area. The Alliance has been established to bring new honor to this region of Northern Virginia through prominent recognition of this historic Civil War event.
This review of 70,000 soldiers was the inspiration for Julia Ward Howe to write the “Battle Hymn of the Republic.”
The reenactment of the Lincoln’s Grand Review will take place on November 12. A life-size bronze statue of President Lincoln and a bas-relief of the Grand Review by sculptor Ron Tunison has been commissioned. Donations are needed for the completion of the monument.
P.O. Box 721, Lincoln City, IN 47552
The Lincoln Amphitheatre at Lincoln State Park was organized by the Lincoln Club of Southern Indiana and built with $3.2 million in state funds. It opened in 1989 with the
“Young Abe Lincoln” show that ran for 18 years.
State budget costs forced the theater to close for 3 years. A new play debuted in 2009 for the Lincoln Bicentennial. This year’s April through October season will include a variety of family programming.
Funds are requested for a new Lincoln –themed musical,
Information: Daniel R. Wilkinson, Executive Director. 800-264-4223 www.lincolnamphitheatre.com